Personal - IBL Lighting without Final Gather


It has been a while since I have posted a render, but it has been a crazy couple of months. What better way to start off the new year than by demonstrating an interesting new workflow for Image Based Lighting in Maya 2013.

For the past while I have been hearing about this new IBL workflow designed in Maya 2013, that creates stunning results without using Final Gather. Too good to be true I thought. Until I tried it.

Above is the render I came up with the first time trying the non Final Gather approach, thanks to a new video training series courtesy of Digital Tutors (www.digitaltutors.com). Although the vehicle provided was not the best model, it was capable of demonstrating the power, accuracy, and potential of the new IBL workflow. Below is an image of the actual vehicle in the environment, which served as a reference point to the look and feel of the lighting I was trying to achieve.


Keeping up to date on new workflows and strategies is important in our industry. It enables us to keep pushing the boundaries of quality. It was definitely exciting to learn the new workflow, get lost in the process for a few hours, and watch a new render come to life. I will definitely be implementing this method in future renders, so keep your eyes open!

Again, thanks to Digital Tutors for providing the great training course, model, HDRI, and backplate!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jas, this is looking awesome!
    May I ask which tutorial you watched? I went onto Digital Tutors and couldn't find the tutorial you mentioned. Even after I searched for the keywords, nothing relevant showed up. Thank you!
    -Obi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Obi, thanks for visiting my blog. The course is called "Professional Series: Photorealistic Vehicle Rendering in Maya". You should be able to just go to the rendering section of the Maya courses. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very helpful and mind blowing!
      Thank you so much for sharing!!

      Delete